Saturday 5 January 2013

Quilling (Tutorials Included)

From Le Chau Handicrafts- Handmade Quilling Paper Picture

I had received these gifts from my friend who had visited Vietnam a few months ago. They make use of an art form called quilling. I had never heard of it before, but I must admit this delicate art form is really amazing.

From VietNet

Basically, you roll strips of paper into shapes to make a pattern. From what I've read, quilling is usually used to make decorative patterns, so it's interesting to see quilling being used to depict people, as well as painting a scene.

From Le Chau Handicrafts- Handmade Quilling Paper Picture

It definitely requires a lot of patience- something I am desperately in need of- but if you're willing to take on the challenge, watch this great tutorial on YouTube to learn the basics. When you're ready to tackle more advance pieces, check out this board of Pinterest for more complicated tutorials. Quilling does require certain supplies,  but I'm sure they can be substituted with common household items.

Are you going to take the challenge? Leave a comment and let me know! I'll also feature your finished work on my blog. Just e-mail thesingexpress@yahoo.com with a picture of your work, your name and your blog if you have one. Happy quilling!

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment